Not all plants are able to thrive indoors, even if you take care of them exceptionally. An ideal indoor plant has to be able to withstand less light and high humidity, and be less likely to be attacked by pests. Also, it is often important it grows at a slower rate, as many have smaller indoor spaces to work with. Here are 5 house plants that are beginner-friendly, beautiful and purify the air.
1. Devil’s Ivy. A common houseplant in temperate regions. It’s called like that because it’s almost impossible to kill and it stays green even when kept in the dark, which makes it perfect for not so sunny rooms. Also, it stays relatively small.
2. Dracaena. This beautiful plant tolerates climate changes, little light, little humidity and little watering. There are more than 40 species of Dracaena, varying in shapes and sizes. In some species pruning is required if the foliage gets too elongated.
3. Aglaonema. Although it’s native to tropical rainforest, it has become quite popular as an indoor plant because of its beautiful leaves. The plants of the genus Aglaonema are able to withstand low light conditions and grow at a steady rate.
4. Peace Lilies. These evergreen plants bloom forming gorgeous white flowers surrounding a yellowish spadix. Their potsoil should be kept moist, but without overwatering. Unlike many other plants, Peace Lilies thrive in dark rooms.
5. Mother-in-law’s tongue. This funny-named plant, also called snake plant, is an excellent air purifier. This is one of the few plants that releases stored oxygen at night, unlike most plants which continuously exchange gases during the day, so it’s perfect for having it in the bedroom.
As a last tip, we always recommend you to look for information specific to the species you want to have at home, especially if you have children or pets, since some houseplants can be poisonous if they are ingested.